Wireless Update from the IT Team

IT_Team
Over the Thanksgiving Break, the Information Technology Team performed a major upgrade to our wireless infrastructure. During this upgrade, we encountered about a 60% failure rate, which required staff to physically remove, disassemble, upgrade components, and re-mount the access points in about 400 classrooms district-wide. Every individual on our team worked to get this done before school returned on the following Monday. I would like to congratulate our team on pulling together to get this done for our students and staff.

After the upgrades were finally completed we engaged Xirrus management to work on how we could rebuild our relationship. While I know this doesn’t fix the many hours of frustration, I am happy to report that we received two years of free hardware and software support from the company, totaling almost $280,000 in services.

While I feel like we have turned a new page, if you’re encountering any issues, please be sure to submit a help request to help@cajonvalley.net. On behalf of Xirrus and our team, we appreciate your patience while we worked through these issues.

Jonathon Guertin | Chief Technology Officer | Cajon Valley Union School District | 619.590.5868